Re: [linux-audio-user] Ardour and Editing

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 28 2005 - 21:33:46 EEST

Mike Jewell wrote:

> The Ardour web site says "Ardour is not a sound file editor."
>
> Isn't editing sound files a big part of the process of getting music
> from the instrument to the CD? Before using Ardour, I spent lots of
> time with Audacity which, though very limited in many of the features
> that make Ardour so powerful, is a very powerful and intuitive sound
> file editor for many of the basic editing jobs you end up doing after
> the musicians have gone home and you are stuck with what you recorded.
> For instance, you need to amplify a small section of a track (more than
> the 12 dB you can get with Ardour's envelope and mixer gains). Or you
> want to apply an effect or plug-in to just a portion of a track.
>
> First of all, (please correct me if I'm wrong) Ardour says it is trying
> to be a Pro-Tools type application but I can't imagine that Pro-Tools
> doesn't have built-in sound file editing.
>
> So what do you folks use and what is your method when you need to do
> editing (I assume, outside of Ardour)?

I use either Audacity or Rezound for actual editing of sound files. I
believe you can configure Ardour to open an application to edit the
actual WAV used for a playlist. Ardour doesn't need this capability
built-in, I don't think. Let Ardour do what it does best and let
Audacity or Rezound do what they do best... and integrating these
applications via Jack is the way to go, IMHO!

-- Brett
Programmer by day, Guitarist by Night
http://www.chapelperilous.net
http://www.alhazred.com