Re: [linux-audio-user] Here is my dilemma

From: <ix@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 29 2005 - 01:30:38 EEST

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 06:18:34PM -0400, Chaz Worm wrote:
> I've been lurking on the list for awhile now. I'm fairly good on
> computers but kind of new with linux.
>
> Here's my problem. I'm pretty sure it can be rectified with linux but I
> don't know how. I recorded an small low-budget cd in a small local
> studio a few years ago. Although I loved the end result, the cd itself
> never had the loudness that a regular cd had. I would be playing it at
> a reletively loud range and then change cd's and always, the other cd
> would be nearly twice as loud.
> How can I make these songs louder?

might want to try JAMin. in particular the multiband compression and limiting.

> On my old recordings there were done with a cheesy four-track, how can I
> make there cleaner?
> Some of my old recordings that have been copied over from old tapes are
> too hot and therefore get a really annoying digital distortion. Can I

distortion removal is a tricky science, but there are some fairly decent win32 options so maybe linux has someting too.. you might want to try isolating a resonant range where its particularly bad and EQing it out, or scour all the LADSPA and wave editors out there for clipped peak reduction stuff..