Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [LAM] A piece with singing...

From: Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 29 2005 - 18:02:18 EEST

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 08:55:12AM +0100, James Stone wrote:
> On the subject of Mics, does anyone think it is worth spending anything on
> a low-end microphone considering I will be recording in a room with
> echoing walls, and a not=so silent computer, into a cheap SBLive! card??

I've been getting a lot of mileage out of my MXL V67G, which
goes for about $99 US. If you google around you'll find that
a lot of low-end professionals consider it one of the "good"
cheap large-diaphragm condenser mics. (There are plenty of bad ones too.)

But still, my vote for the best bang-for-buck mic is a used
Sennheiser MD421. Sounds pretty good on everything you point it at,
very sturdy (will probably outlive the MXL by several decades),
much wider / smoother response than an SM57.
New $300 US, used around $200 US.

--
Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com