Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux Audio Direction (was New Sound Subsystem Needed For Qt4/KDE4)

From: Leonard \ <paniq@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 31 2005 - 01:15:59 EEST

> together. should more cohesive methods of application development be
> created?

not artificially. any ecosystem tends to balance itself in a way that all
elements which do not adapt become extinct. what remains are programs which
fit well together. i believe that it someone who directs the overall way of
development would rather hurt the enthusiasm and freedom of individual
programmers.

> WOuld that remove a fundamental reason / motivation that
> developers even bother to pour thru code in Linux in the first place?

exactly.

> would the comgregational effort look like if it were warranted without it
> looking / smelling like a M$ type solution (It's mine...i'll do it my way
> because I can...not because I think it will be usefull to you)

as said, i dont think these programs will have a long life, unless someone
extends them for a large audience.

> To the current Linux audio devs...Muse, Jack, Ardour, Rosegarden, Csound,
> Wired, etc all and any...what motivates you to create these apps? Surely
> it's not money? :) So what is it? Are you genuinely magnanamous?
> Did you have a need for yourself and decided to share? Are you a visionary?

for the app i'm working on, yes. i decided to share for pragmatical reasons: i
could be warned early if my visions lead into the wrong direction. feedback
will be given early and often. suggestions come from the userbase. there will
be more bug reports and earlier fixing of bugs.

> would you propose it be done. What parts might you organise and others
> leave as is? Is doing this in Linux a mutually exclusive based wall that
> was never intended to be scaled?

as already said, i believe that free development is a different mode of
operation. i would at no cost recommend integration if it wasnt fun for
everybody.

--
-- leonard "paniq" ritter
-- http://www.paniq.org