Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux Audio Direction (was New Sound Subsystem Needed For Qt4/KDE4)

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 31 2005 - 11:23:40 EEST

On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 05:51, tim hall wrote:
> Last Saturday 30 July 2005 18:01, Jan Depner was like:
> > On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 16:04, hanaghan@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> > > I want to know
> > > what makes you spend the time you do on this stuff so guys like me can
> > > pilfer legally and freely your hard works and then subsequently bitch at
> > > random about how it doesn't work! :)
>
> I understand the tongue in cheek-ness of this remark, but I think you've
> muddied the waters by using this analogy.
>
> > One of the reasons that I started working on JAMin with Steve, Jack,
> > et al is that I was using Ardour. I had tried to contribute to Ardour
> > at first but it was too far along in development for me to jump in and
> > easily get acclimated. I didn't have the time to spend to get up to
> > speed. I felt that I owed something back to the community (and Paul in
> > particular) for the work that had gone in to the applications that I was
> > able to "pilfer legally and freely". As far as playing nicely together
> > is concerned, that's why we used JACK. JAMin was actually designed to
> > be the mastering backend to Ardour. I have to admit that once I got
> > started working on JAMin it was a hell of a lot of fun ;-) It seems to
> > me that some of the best ideas come from those who "bitch at random".
>
> JAMin is a good example. I'm really impressed with the way it was developed
> collaboratively, starting from a discussion here & on LAD AFAIU. I like the
> fact that it's not a drop-in replacement for anything I've ever seen before
> (my experience of music software outside Linux is limited) I like what it
> does, the way it does it and I LOVE the way it looks. In fact, the only thing
> I don't like is its heavy use of resources on this machine, but I suspect
> that's a direct result of the sort of processing involved and I'm not
> expecting that to change. Soon I will own a computer that was made this
> century. Describing yourselves as those who "bitch at random" is
> self-deprecating to say the least. I'd like to see more projects happen this
> way.

    You are correct, JAMin did start as a discussion on LAD.

    There are a number of Windoze/Mac mastering packages (like
T-RackS). A lot of audio mastering is done using suites of hardware -
preamps, EQs, compressors, limiters. It can get very expensive.

    There is some *serious* processing going on so it probably won't get
any lighter. Hopefully Moore's law will take care of that ;-)

    I was being facetious when I mentioned those who "bitch at random".
As someone else pointed out earlier, without users a project is pretty
much a dead beast. Where I work I try to sit next to the people who are
using my software. The short feedback loop is the best way to make sure
that you're creating something useful. With JAMin I can't actually sit
next to the people using our software but I can do so virtually via the
mailing lists. I sincerely believe that the users are the best source
of innovative ideas. Sometimes what they want is not possible but the
discussions keep the ideas flowing.

--
Jan "Evil Twin" Depner
The Fuzzy Dice