Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie Linux user Struggling with MIDI

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 31 2005 - 19:33:49 EEST

> > When I click "Start" I get the message below -don't know what they mean,
> > but it doesn't look good...
> >
> > Phil J.
> > Error messages from Jack below:

   [ messages from JACK ]

> > configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> > Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
> > Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
> > ALSA: cannot set period size to 1024 frames for capture
> > ALSA: cannot configure capture channel

> This means ALSA isn't configured properly. Try alsaconf.
>
> cheers,
>
> tim hall
> http://glastonburymusic.org.uk

It does not mean that at all.

It means that Phil's h/w cannot support 1024 frames/period on the
capture channel and/or cannot support full-duplex operation.

Phil - try configuring JACK to use 2048 frames/period, and try using the
-P and/or -C flag to specify playback-only or capture-only respectively.

This has nothing to do with alsaconf.

--p