Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux Audio Direction (was New Sound Subsystem Needed For Qt4/KDE4)

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 31 2005 - 15:54:11 EEST

On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 12:17, hanaghan@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 05:51, tim hall wrote:
> >> Last Saturday 30 July 2005 18:01, Jan Depner was like:
> >> can pilfer legally and freely your hard works and then
> >> subsequently bitch at random about how it doesn't work! :)
> >>
> >> I understand the tongue in cheek-ness of this remark, but I think
> >> you've muddied the waters by using this analogy.

> >> Jack,
> >> Ardour at first but it was too far along in development for me to
> >> jump in and easily get acclimated. I didn't have the time to spend
> >> to get up to speed. I felt that I owed something back to the
> >> community (and Paul in particular) for the work that had gone in to
> >> the applications that I was able to "pilfer legally and freely". As
> >> far as playing nicely together is concerned, that's why we used
> >> JACK. JAMin was actually designed to be the mastering backend to
> >> Ardour. I have to admit that once I got started working on JAMin it
> >> was a hell of a lot of fun ;-) It seems to me that some of the best
> >> ideas come from those who "bitch at random".
> >>
> >> JAMin is a good example. I'm really impressed with the way it was
> >> developed collaboratively, starting from a discussion here & on LAD
> >> AFAIU. I like the fact that it's not a drop-in replacement for
> >> anything I've ever seen before (my experience of music software
> >> outside Linux is limited) I like what it does, the way it does it and
> >> I LOVE the way it looks. In fact, the only thing I don't like is its
> >> heavy use of resources on this machine, but I suspect that's a direct
> >> result of the sort of processing involved and I'm not expecting that
> >> to change. Soon I will own a computer that was made this century.
> >> Describing yourselves as those who "bitch at random" is
> >> self-deprecating to say the least. I'd like to see more projects
> >> happen this way.
> >>

> > You are correct, JAMin did start as a discussion on LAD.
> >
> > There are a number of Windoze/Mac mastering packages (like
> > T-RackS). A lot of audio mastering is done using suites of hardware -
> > preamps, EQs, compressors, limiters. It can get very expensive.
> >
> > There is some *serious* processing going on so it probably won't get
> > any lighter. Hopefully Moore's law will take care of that ;-)
> >
> > I was being facetious when I mentioned those who "bitch at random".
> > As someone else pointed out earlier, without users a project is pretty
> > much a dead beast. Where I work I try to sit next to the people who are
> > using my software. The short feedback loop is the best way to make sure
> > that you're creating something useful. With JAMin I can't actually sit
> > next to the people using our software but I can do so virtually via the
> > mailing lists. I sincerely believe that the users are the best source
> > of innovative ideas. Sometimes what they want is not possible but the
> > discussions keep the ideas flowing.
> >

> JAMin is one of the many apps I think is very versitile and generally just
> works. I have used apps in windows such as Ozone for the same thing. It's
> [...]

    I beg to differ, I certainly had a financial motive. It goes like
this:

Micro$oft Windoze XP ~ $300 US (Micro$oft - your paycheck, our pocket)
Pro Tools ~ anywhere from $500 US to $10000 US depending on version and
features
T-RackS ~ $400 US

Linux ~ priceless ;-)

    When you look at it this way, I just got paid a minimum of $1200 US
for my time. Granted, I could have gotten it all for free. I put in my
time on JAMin so that the people who work on Ardour, Alsa, JACK,
Rosegarden, Hydrogen, etc will have a nice mastering tool. They put in
their time so that I can have a nice recording, etc tool (some of them
want to make money on their stuff and that's OK too). All the users put
in their time beta testing so that the tools will get better. This is a
community house raising if you will. Everybody brings what they have to
the gig and we work together to help each other. Sappy but true. If
all of those other people weren't working on what they're working on I
wouldn't be here either.

--
Jan "Evil Twin" Depner
The Fuzzy Dice