Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Newbie Linux user Struggling with MIDI

From: Christoph Eckert <ce@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 01:31:26 EEST

> Sorry, wrong.  On a working system updatedb should not slow
> down other processes.  If it does the scheduler is broken,
> or the cron job is incorrectly running it at the default
> nice value.
>
> What exactly is the problem with updatedb running wile
> you're trying work?

Some time passed since I used SuSE. I used it on a 200MHz
machine.

THe updatedb was invoked at 12PM, a time I usually still sit
in front of the computer.

As soon as it started, the machine simply turned unusable. THe
problem IMHO was disc IO which doesn't get influenced by
nice.

I heard rumors there *will* be a possibility to influence disc
IO priviledges, but as I used SuSE there was no possibility
to do so.

Best regards

    ce