Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie Linux user Struggling with MIDI

From: Christoph Eckert <ce@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 13:38:44 EEST

Hi Phil,

> An idea - how do I know what to write in and how would I do
> it?

let me summarize:

* JACK runs well on top of your card. Did you try if audio
output via any JACK application works? I'd try playing an mp3
or ogg file with xmms via its JACK output plugin. But
currently you try to get MIDI working so this isn't urgent

* The Card appears in ALSA as a writable MIDI port, correct?

* If so you should test if MIDI goes out of the card. The
simplest way to do so is running something like vkeybd, an
onscreen MIDI keyboard. If you haven't it install, please try
installing it.

* It is important to know that Linux has very flexible MIDI
routing abilities thanks to the ALSA sequencer. OTOH, this
means that MIDI applications usually don't connect
automatically. Use qjackctl, Connections, MIDI to connect the
vkeybd to the MIDI out port of your card.

* Use the mouse or the computer keyboard to play some notes.
Does the Soundcanvas receive MIDI data?

Best regards

    ce