Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie Linux user Struggling with MIDI

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 02 2005 - 12:26:58 EEST

Last Tuesday 02 August 2005 02:15, PhilJackson was like:
> Hi Christoph,
>
> >let me summarize:
> >
> >* JACK runs well on top of your card. Did you try if audio
> >output via any JACK application works? I'd try playing an mp3
> >or ogg file with xmms via its JACK output plugin. But
> >currently you try to get MIDI working so this isn't urgent
>
> Now that is an interesting question! I usually download/play mp3s
> using alsaplayer, which seems the default. Xine usually plays my
> CDs. When I open up XMMS with nothing else running except
> browser and email client and go to Preferences / Audio - IO plugins,
> I see Alsa,DiskWriter, eSound, and OSS as options. No mention of
> Jack. I am quite newbie enough to not know if there is a sequence
> of operations - i.e this has to be already running and that has to be
> running....would think things should instantiate themselves as needed.
>
> >* The Card appears in ALSA as a writable MIDI port, correct?
>
> I think it is 64:0 CS46XX.
>
> >* If so you should test if MIDI goes out of the card. The
> >simplest way to do so is running something like vkeybd, an
> >onscreen MIDI keyboard. If you haven't it install, please try
> >installing it.
>
> I looked, and my package manager doesn't have anything like
> that. pmidi or rosegarden should be able to send MIDI to the
> card....
>
> >* It is important to know that Linux has very flexible MIDI
> >routing abilities thanks to the ALSA sequencer. OTOH, this
> >means that MIDI applications usually don't connect
> >automatically. Use qjackctl, Connections, MIDI to connect the
> >vkeybd to the MIDI out port of your card.
> >
> >* Use the mouse or the computer keyboard to play some notes.
> >Does the Soundcanvas receive MIDI data?
>
> Yes, it seems that it does. Maybe I have an unfortunate mix
> of hardware / software?

You can get vkeybd from A/DeMuDi - you could possibly make life easier for
yourself by including these sources:
http://demudi.agnula.org/wiki/InstallApt
See also:
http://demudi.agnula.org/wiki/DocumentsFaq
Much of this applies to making music on any Debian system.

cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk