Re: [linux-audio-user] Python & ALSA --- documentation

From: Peter Brinkmann <brinkman@email-addr-hidden-berlin.de>
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 01:24:09 EEST

Rob,
On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 08:09:18PM +0100, Rob Fell wrote:
> I may be showing my Python naivety here, but I'm struggling to see how
> to integrate the MIDI thread with other threads in a safe way. I see
> that the low-level bindings incorporate a time-out on the poll(), but
> there's no callback that'd allow for polling Python Queues, and you
> don't appear to release the GIL during the poll().
I always found it sufficient to do any thread synchronization on the
Python side, using the synchronization primitives provided by Python's
threading module. Do you have an application in mind that would require
synchronization at a lower level?

Also, what sort of functionality would you like to implement by polling
Python Queues in the MIDI thread?
Best,
    Peter