Re: [linux-audio-user] Optimal SuSE 9.3 audio setup

From: Martin Wohlleben <Martin.Wohlleben@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 23:46:15 EEST

Am Donnerstag, 4. August 2005 18:19 schrieb LinuxMedia:
> For anyone that has a solid audio setup on SuSE 9.3 professional...
> please let me know if there's any nessesary steps to take to get things
> running properly. In prior versions of SuSE they ran 2.4 kernels, and
> everything ran great right out of the box. I haven't gotten to the point
> were I can try recording yet, but I thought I would get the scoop from
> anyone that has an optimal running audio setup. Please point me to any
> docs if there is any patching or recompiling to do because I'm
> inexperienced on both points.
>
> I would assume the two main things is making sure everything is set up
> for low latency recording and being able to run programs "realtime". Did
> I miss anything? Do I still need to make programs suid root to be able
> to run realtime?
>
> Right now I've created Redhat 9 boot disks and will be installing Planet
> CCRMA. But I'd rather go with SuSE if it's possible to get audio set up
> for optimum use. It's just that Redhat 9 has been discontinued, and I
> get the impression Redhat isn't as "complete" as SuSE anyways (the
> install disk couldn't even reconize my monitor). I'm trying to have
> *one* setup that is (both) my "general" computer setup (and) my digital
> audio workstation at the same time. And since SuSE is such a "complete"
> distrob, I'd prefer to go with it. But if it's just too much to get
> audio set up for optimum audio use, then I may have to do a duel boot
> situation with SuSE/Planet.
>
> Thanks,
> Rocco

Hello Rocco,

I'm using SUSE 9.2 and did some changes to increase the realtime perfomance
for SuSE 9.3 it should be similar. Maybe it's not the best and easiest way,
but it was succesful for me.

1. Install the Kernelsources with Yast.
2. copy the config from /boot (config-"Your Kernel) to /usr/src/linux/.config
(enables nearly all modules . if you know your requirements it might be
better to configurate it by hand)
3. make menuconfig (install make, gcc, and ncurses-devel before)
4. Choose your Processor family and enable preemptible Kernel
5. Set your own suffix at Build-Options (e.g. realtime)
6. make and install the kernel (refer the adminstration manual, there is a
good description) with your suffix (you can see the right name at the folder
where it install the modules after make modules_install)
7. don't forget to make an initrd for this kernel (mkinitrd
-k /boot/"your_new_kernel" -i initrd-"your suffix"
8. add Kernel and initrd to the grub list (similar to the original Kernel but
with your suffix)
9. restart
10. install necessary km_modules (with Yast) (e.g. km_submount, or wireless
lan modules which are not in the kernel. You can find them
at /usr/src/kernel-modules after insatllation with yast.
make and make install
11.Download realtime-lsm and compile it for your new kernel
12.Add the follwing to your /etc/modprobe.conf

#realtime-lsm options
options realtime allcaps=1 gid=17

Group 17 is group "sound" at my SuSE (check it for yours)
13. Open Yast => Editor for etc/sysconfig files and add the module "realtime"
at System/Kernel/MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT
Then SUSE should automatically load the realtime module at boot (you can check
the boot messages or try lsmod|grep realtime after rebooting

Now it should work. Try

jackd -Rv -d alsa -d hw:"Your Soundcard" or use qjackctl

If you have still many xruns. remove jackd in Yast (without removing other)
download the sources. Recompile it with capabilities and a default_temp_dir
e.g. /tmp/jack
create the folder /tmp/jack
add the following line to your /etc/fstab
none /tmp/jack tmpfs defaults 0 0

and restart.

Good Luck
Martin