Re: [linux-audio-user] Multiple soundcard with Jack

From: Jody Noury <jody.noury@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 16:27:58 EEST

Hi,

Thanks for your response,

Paul Davis a écrit :
[...]
> JACK handles one and only one ALSA PCM device per "direction" (playback,
> capture). Generally, it is run using the same PCM device for both
> directions.
ok

> ALSA can be used to "merge" soundcards together but:
>
> 1) there is rarely a good reason to do this, *especially* with
> cheap audio interfaces.

Well my hope was to be able to mix different sources, for exemple to be
able to plug audio sources (audio player or output from another
computer) in both line-in of the cards and be able to mix it with
different output of player(s) (software) on this machine.

Mixing console (hardware) should be more simple to use :)

> 2) if there is a good reason (such as when using multiple
> high end interfaces with word clock sync), ALSA doesn't
> seem to do a particular good job and its hellish to
> handle the config file syntax for setting it up unless
> you are already a programmer or want to be.

You're right: I have looked around alsa configuration but it seems to be
to hard for me to do what I would like to :)

Jody