[linux-audio-user] Book Recommendation

From: <davidrclark@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 23:06:06 EEST

Greetings all,

As many of you know, Bob Katz's book on mastering has been recommended over
and over. It really is worthwhile. I thank Mark Knecht especially for
getting me to buy it. Anyone working in digital audio, even those who
think they know it all, can benefit from this book.

A new book was recently published, and I just obtained a copy of it:

The Art of Digital Music by David Battino and Kelli Richards.

Now I've just started reading parts of it, but I've already seen some really
good advice. This consists of interviews of 56 people in the industry plus
some conferences. There is a DVD consisting of not just a little marketing,
but it's OK. The book also has noticeable hype BUT:

The interviews are something like what you may have seen in Electronic
Musician, but it's nice to see a lot more all in one place. I find myself
nodding my head in agreement over and over again...

I don't recommend this to anyone just getting started. You need
some experience to understand WHY they say the things they do. Without
it, you won't find this book very helpful. One of the things I like about
this new book is that it provided validation of some of my own conclusions
about working with digital audio. It's also good to see differences of
opinion.

Regards to all,
Dave.