Re: [linux-audio-user] Suggested laser printer for score printing?

From: anahata <anahata@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 13 2005 - 01:47:02 EEST

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 10:32:18PM +0100, Mr. Spock wrote:
> I'm needing to buy a printer that will be
> ideal for score printing and also plays well with Debian/DeMuDi.
> Since I don't really need colour, I'd prefer a laser printer.
> I'll stick with black+white A4 for now for cost reasons -
> I'm looking to spend about 200-300 UK pounds (about $300-500) max.
>
> I've not yet used Lilypond or any other scoring software, but believe
> that Postscript is a major plus. I know that Ghostscript exists to
> convert Postscript documents, but figure that if my printer natively
> understands PS it will be quicker and save processor time.
> Is Postscript Level 3 required, or will Level 2 suffice? PJL? PCL5?

Many programs that print PS can be configured for Level 2 or Level 3 or
automatically get the printer's requirements from the PPD file.

I use an HP Laserjet 1100 for printing music. Somewhere along the line
(CUPS, ghostscript etc) PS gets turned into suitable PCL and it just
works, absolutely perfectly.

Unless you've got a very compelling reason for needing all the CPU power
you can muster, it's not worth spending the extra money on a PS printer.
Processing delay is insignificant compared with printer warmup time for
the first page and overlaps printing for further pages and I've never
noticed any sign of excessive CPU load.

Don't get a Windows GDI printer and you'll be fine. PCL no problem.

> I also want a networkable one to share over my (wired) LAN.

My LJ1100 isn't a network printer, but it's hooked up to a server box. I
do also have a PS colour laser that is networked (QMS/Minolta
magicolor 3100) and they both just work (after a little futzing about
with CUPS, PPD files etc).

> I've looked at the very informative pages about Linux Printing:
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html

Good...

> Since I do have a fondness for old lo-tech gear, I did entertain ideas
> about a refurbished HP LaserJet 4 or 5 (fond memories from college days)
> after the high praise these old tanks got on Slashdot a while ago, but
> am thinking they may be a bit slow/tired compared to modern kit. My main
> considerations are reliability, build-quality, cost-per-page, speed and
> looks.

Pick any printer for your best mix of those qualities (not a Linuix issue),
check with the linux printing database, and you're away. I don't think you
need to restrict yourself to postscript. You are certainly right to
choose a laser though.

--
Anahata
anahata@email-addr-hidden -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk