Re: [linux-audio-user] (no subject)

From: Michael Wagner <michael.wgnr@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 12:37:27 EEST

On 8/13/05, Un Worldly <dj_unworldly@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> It seems like gentoo is the most audio-ready of the general distros, but
> there is no way I am going to fight with gentoo just to use their sound
> packages. Arch would be great for this purpose if only there were more
> people to help the cause, unfortunately there are only a few arch musicians
> and there isnt anyone maintaining the hard-to-build packages because they
> are too hard.
>
> So I need help thinking of the advantages and disadvantages to both
> approaches, The tedious but customizable scratch installation vs the
> convenient yet 'black box' prefab installation.
>
> what would be absolutely perfect was a customizable audio distro, or a
> general distro that officially packaged music software, maybe something like
> that will exist in the future.

Well, I'm using Arch, too, because I like the way it works. From time
to time, I also think about switching to Demudi or PlanetCCRMA,
because of the lack of audio packages, but then again, I couldn't
imagine using any other distro, because Arch is simple and it works.

I was "offline" for quite a while, so I wasn't up to date with
anything about Arch Linux, but when I finally found, that PKGBUILDs
now can be exchanged in the AUR, I was quite surprised. There are
already a few audio PKGBUILDs there and I bet, there will be more
coming...

-Michael