Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Gnome Wave Cleaner

From: Mike Jewell <mj405@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 19:04:16 EEST

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 07:13 -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
> David Cournapeau wrote:

> >>type:
> >>
> >> make uninstall
> >>
> >>you must not have re-run configure with different options since doing
> >>the last make install.
> >>
> >>note that in the case of the ultimate screw up (e.g. with JACK), you can
> >>still use this method. suppose you mistakenly did this:
> >>
> >> (unpack source tarball)
> >> cd srcdir
> >> ./configure
> >> make
> >> make install
> >> (remember that you mean to use --prefix=/usr)
> >> ./configure --prefix=/usr
> >> make
> >> make install
> >> (remember that you shouldn't mix tarballs and packages)
> >>
> >>looks bad now - you have two versions of the software, one under /usr,
> >>one under /usr/local.
> >>
> >>its ok, just do this:
> >>
> >> cd srcdir
> >> ./configure
> >> make uninstall
> >> ./configure --prefix
> >> make uninstall
> >>
> >>and its all cleaned up.
> >>
> >>--p "no sir, never had to do that, no sir, never, no sir"
> >

> > An advice I would add: do not install libraries from source code by
> > yourself (ie without your package manager knowing it), because it will
> > cause many problems later, if you do not know exactly what you are
> > doing.
> >
> > If you really want to try some new versions from source, you should
> > use something like checkinstall, which builds a rpm or a .deb from
> > your sources.
> >
> > http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/
> >
> > The big advantage of this method is that your package manager knows
> > about what you installed, and where, thus making the uninstall part a
> > non problem.
>
> the other option is to install into /opt/package-version (using
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/package-version), possibly using stow to
> create links in /usr/local, in that case the instwallation is completely
> independent from your packaging system, you can have multiple versions
> installed and control which one is used by either stow or using env
> variables etc.

I like this idea of containing it in it's own little world so you can
have different versions installed for testing, etc. But why would you
want links in /usr/local? Wouldn't the --prefix set it all up to run
from the /opt dir?

And what is stow? I don't seem to have that on my CCRMA FC3 distro.

Thanks for the good pointers.

Mike
Mike Jewell
One-Up Audio