Re: [linux-audio-user] Academic question about AMD64 and audio

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 16 2005 - 12:25:15 EEST

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 01:11:59 -0700, thewade wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a purely academic question stemming from an accidental install on
> my part:
> Will my AMD64 laptop run PD and other sound apps (using mingo's RT
> patched kernels) faster in native 64-bit linux or faster as a
> conventional 32-bit linux?

Unless you've got more than 3 gig of ram I doubt it will make much
difference. 32bit binaries are smaller, and hence faster, but there are a
couple of 64bit only instructions that the compiler might use that could
give some speed benefit.

If you try it, why dont you measure the difference and tell us?

Personally I'd be supprised if the 64bit version is measurably faster, but
I'm often supprised :)

- Steve