Re: [linux-audio-user] usb controller keyboards

From: Christoph Eckert <ce@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 16 2005 - 22:14:37 EEST

Hi,

> Did you ask for the firmware source code, or just for permission to
> redistribute it as a binary blob?

I told them that the Midisport 8x8 works very well on my Linux box and
that I'm just happy with the device.

Then I asked if it would be possible that the *binary* firmware file
could be available for redistribution in open source projects, and I
pointed out that in case that this is not possible it would be great if
they at least put the single file on their homepage so Linux users are
not in need of peeling the firmware out of the windows driver.

I did all this by snail mail (with reason) in march 2005 and got no
reply until today.

I did avoid all RME or even Marek style speech, but I couldn't resist to
tell m-audio that most people recommend Edirol stuff instead of m-audio
because it works right out of the box without firmware loading. This is
the speech the sales guys usually understand(at least I hoped they
did :) .

Best regards

    ce