[linux-audio-user] MIDI Test Phrase for Auditioning Patches and Synths

From: <davidrclark@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 22:28:49 EEST

Test MIDI phrase #1 for auditioning patches or synths:

http://home.earthlink.net/~davidrclark/linux_audio_users/mmp1.mid

Demo of audition MIDI phrase for eight very different patches from a
Roland XV-3080 is at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~davidrclark/latest.mp3

-----------------------------

MIDI Test Phrase 1 is a modified arpeggiated phrase that ranges over
five octaves with velocities from 64 to 127, contains both long and
short notes, some overlapping, some not (to provide some idea of both
chord and solo performance), which I have now tested using three
hardware synths, several software synths including Nasca O. Paul's
ZynAddSubFX and Fluidsynth, using hundreds of patches and soundfonts.
This phrase does *not* have modulation, aftertouch, pitchbending or
other variations of this sort. This first phrase is anticipated to be
the basis of a set of phrases. I have already found this test phrase
to be much more useful than I had anticipated in revealing strengths
and weaknesses of patches and synths as well as for exploring large
synths which offer hundreds or thousands of patches.

The MIDI file is completely clean of any controller, including volume,
panning, patch selection, etc. so you should be able to just use it to
play the same patch as previously chosen or the patch you manually
choose on an external synth. I stripped out all of the FF 7F
sequencer- and system-specific messages by hand, so please do let me
know if you see any problems along those lines or errors I may have
introduced into the MIDI file.

This MIDI file is being released as "software" under GPL-2 so you can
use it in the manner described in that license. This is an original
work, so is unencumbered by royalties, etc. Please feel free to
exchange samples with colleagues or use this in any way prescribed by
GPL-2.

The demo uses my binaural image audio software rather than the stock
reverb on the Roland XV-3080, so it's intended primarily for
headphones. This demo is also released as "software" under GPL-2.
Each audio section is a single patch, not performances, but some have
multiple tones.

Sections (please do listen to these with headphones for much better
results):

1) 128 Voice Piano, preset A-001

2) Upright Piano, D-002 (degraded piano)

3) Computer Clavinet, A-033

4) Bluesy OD Guitar, D-037

5) Big BPF, C-103

6) Symphonique, C-044 (sounds a little dark to me)

7) Ice Blasts, F-126

8) Forest Moon, F-115

Hope you enjoy and Regards to all,
Dave.