[linux-audio-user] Frustrated bigtime

From: Noah Roberts <roberts.noah@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 08:04:23 EEST

I just got a new laptop. It's an Asus A6U with an AMD64 Turion ML-37,
which runs at 2G and has 1M L2 cache. The system also has 1G of
333Mhz RAM. The HD is a 5200 80G drive. I have installed linux
2.6.12, which comes with the RT-Limits patch and I patched PAM myself
to use it. If I run jackd without realtime priority it sounds like
shit but it works. If I try to make it sound better with -R then
ardour gets disconnected from jackd because it is "too slow". Here is
jackd's output:

subgraph starting at ardour timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=22, status =
0, state = Running)
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 39.900 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 10.455 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 2.649 msecs
**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.028 msecs

Doing web searches on this tells me to update, but these are very old
messages. It isn't CPU frequency stepping because the CPU is running
at top speed via userspace setting. I suppose it could be acpi but
now I can't find the message that said how to turn that off...

Shouldn't this machine be more than adiquate for *playing* audio from ardour?!

What gives? Any help would be great.