[linux-audio-user] update: VST plugins + Linux + recent WINE

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 16:18:23 EEST

Greetings:

  I'm testing DSSI and libfst VST support using wine-20050725. Here's a
preliminary report for interested users.

  I rebuilt and reinstalled libfst, jack_fst, dssi, and the dssi-vst
stuff. Kernel is Demudi's 2.6.12, ALSA 1.0.9b, JACK 0.99.54. Everything
built without complaint, except for one significant error. Recently WINE
has altered some syntax and flags for some of its utilities, including
the winebuild binary. The dssi-vst and libfst stuff (including jack_fst)
use winebuild in the final stages of the build, and they failed because
a flag is missing. The fix is to add the -F flag after the --exe
directive in the appropriate Makefiles. It's only three or four
instances, and after making the changes the builds proceeded without
problems.

  First, some notable failures:

    dlphilp@email-addr-hidden:~/dssi-vst-0.3.1$ ./vsthost
../vstplugins/vsti/HyperCanvas.dll
    Returning file identifiers: JANyenIu1TlApftWzNiGT2M0
    DSSI_PATH not set, defaulting to
/home/dlphilp/.dssi:/usr/local/lib/dssi:/usr/lib/dssi
    RemoteVSTClient: executing
/usr/local/lib/dssi/dssi-vst/dssi-vst-server -g
../vstplugins/vsti/HyperCanvas.dll,JANyenIu1TlApftWzNiGT2M0
    DSSI VST plugin server v0.96
    Copyright (c) 2004 Chris Cannam - Fervent Software
    VST_PATH not set, defaulting to
/home/dlphilp/vst:/usr/local/lib/vst:/usr/lib/vst
    fixme:midi:OSS_MidiInit Synthesizer support MIDI in. Not supported
yet (please report)
    dssi-vst-server[1]: found in
/home/dlphilp/vst/../vstplugins/vsti/HyperCanvas.dll
    done
    Testing VST compatibility...
    dssi-vst-server[1]: VST entrypoint "main" found
    Plugin server timed out on startup: No such device or address
    vsthost: bailing out
    Terminated

    dlphilp@email-addr-hidden:~$ jack_fst vstplugins/vsti/HyperCanvas.dll
    fixme:midi:OSS_MidiInit Synthesizer support MIDI in. Not supported
yet (please report)
    HyperCanvas could not be instantiated
    ------> [At this point an error dialog appears that says "Not
supported CPU" followed by garbage characters. - DP]
    can't instantiate plugin vstplugins/vsti/HyperCanvas.dll

    dlphilp@email-addr-hidden:~$ jack_fst vstplugins/Crystal.dll
    Segmentation fault

    All other plugins that I tried failed with jack_fst, with the same
segmentation fault.

  I was able to run and test Oberon-4, Crystal, PM4, Pro-52, Mercury-1,
and AdditiveSynth with dssi-vst's vsthost. I'm not at my home machine,
so I have just a few plugins to test, but so far I'm inclined to agree
with Paul Davis and simply recommend the dssi-vst package for running
VSTs with the most recent WINEs.

  I'd really like to get HyperCanvas working under dssi-vst. Any tips or
suggestions from you VST mavens out there ?

Best,

dp