[linux-audio-user] Re: Frustrated bigtime

From: Noah Roberts <roberts.noah@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 21:40:03 EEST

On 8/20/05, Noah Roberts <roberts.noah@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > I just got a new laptop. It's an Asus A6U with an AMD64 Turion ML-37,
> > which runs at 2G and has 1M L2 cache. The system also has 1G of
> > 333Mhz RAM. The HD is a 5200 80G drive. I have installed linux
> > 2.6.12, which comes with the RT-Limits patch and I patched PAM myself
> > to use it. If I run jackd without realtime priority it sounds like
> > shit but it works. If I try to make it sound better with -R then
> > ardour gets disconnected from jackd because it is "too slow".
>
> Using an external hard drive seems to help some. Also I added memlock
> of 512000 and that helped a lot...with everything, not just jack and
> ardour...the whole system is much more responsive. What does that do
> and why would everything all the sudden start up really fast
> now...even non-RT apps?

I was totally mistaken. I thought it was fixed. It worked for a
brief time last night and then I made the big mistake of rebooting.
Now once again I keep getting the damn error and Ardour gets tossed
out of the jack network. Now it happens with both internal and
external USB2 drive. I'm still reading replies. I got so frustrated
this damn thing almost died a brutal death...and then that would be a
waste of a lot of money...

What happened last night is that I had acpi turned off and I had
turned on memlock. That first time it worked great and I was able to
play through an entire session without a single xrun. But then I
rebooted and now it is once again buggered to hell.