Re: [linux-audio-user] linux audio wiki

From: Randy Kramer <rhkramer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 23 2005 - 14:19:15 EEST

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 05:17 am, Bob wrote:

Not replying to any particular post, just want to get my $.04 in (I already
put the first $.02 in). (And all of this is just IMHO.)

The mail list is described / named as:

A list for linux audio users <linux-audio-user@...

I can't help but think that using a domain name that doesn't include the
phrase linux audio is confusing.

I also don't think incorporating wiki into the domain name is useful for a
variety of reasons--you can add wiki in the titles/descriptive text of the
wiki itself, and you may put stuff on that domain other than a wiki. Also,
once you have a domain name like linuxaudio.org you can create a subdomain
like wiki.linuxaudio.org at no additional cost (iiuc) and with no approval
required.

The other name that makes sense (to me ;-) is to include user in the domain
name, i.e., linuxaudiouser.org. That doesn't seem necessary to me.

>From another point of view, besides the mail list, is there any (group)
"entity" that already exists like the Linux Audio Users group? (By this, I'm
referring to people on the linux-audio-user mail list.)

If not, might such a group evolve from this mailing list?

If so, (imho) this is another reason to pick a domain name including at least
linuxaudio (and maybe user(s)).

Finally, if you consider a domain name other than linuxaudio(user).xxx, should
you change the name and description of the mail list as well?

regards,
Randy Kramer