Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice needed: portable audio recorder?

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 19:30:19 EEST

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 15:54, October wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I need some advice... I want to buy a device for
> making high quality recordings "in the field" via a
> MIC of enviromental sounds and also small jam sessions
> in enclosed spaces and the like. It would also be
> nice (but not required) to have the capability to just
> plug a guitar or keyboard into it and record as well.
> Being linux friendly, preferably via a USB cable (both
> read and write) is highly desired!
>
> I am, however, on a limited budget! So basically I
> need the most bang for the buck ;)
>
> Top end of my budget might include the Edirol R-1, at
> around $400USD. This device uses compact flash cards
> for storage but I'm worried about propietary (windoze)
> software being required for file transfer.
> http://www.edirol.com/products/info/r1.html
>
> I've also been reading up on something called the Zoom
> PS04 which is aparantly a fairly popular digital
> 4-track recorder. Seems to have lots of bells and
> whistles, is half the price of the Edirol, but has no
> USB. This means buying a smartmedia card reader and
> hoping I find a way to convert the proprietary ".aud"
> files to waves or something with linux.
> http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/models/ps04/pdmodel.html
>
> Then there is MiniDisc and even some harddrive based
> music players with record features. Too many to even
> sort through!
>
> Is anyone using anything like this with linux that can
> help me out with a recommendation or two?

Neuros. Built in mic - not too good but you can use a tiny battery
powered mixer and decent mics via the line in. It records in a number
of mp3 resolutions or 16 bit wav up to 48KHz. Supports ogg, mp3, flac,
wav, wma, aac, ... Uses USB2 to sync with Linux. I use an app called
Sorune. With a 30GB hard drive it's about $250.

--
Jan "Evil Twin" Depner
The Fuzzy Dice