Re: [linux-audio-user] Around the wiki.freeaudiosoftware.org - forum

From: Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 01:12:15 EEST

Christoph Eckert wrote:
>>Isn't a wiki a kind of forum too? ...but the entries are of higher
>>quality
>

> That's the point. Did you ever read a thread in a forum (or even a
> thread of a recent discussion on a mailing list provided by a HTML
> gateway)?
>
> You read a lot and in the end you know that the discussed problem wasn't
> solved. You have messed time.

man, do you know how many web forums there are out there?!!! i've really
gotta say that if it wasn't for web-based forums, i'd still be ... well,
computer-illiterate. i'd say that forums have helped me out of hopeless
situations 80% of the time to 20% for mailing lists. it is *much* easier
to search a forum for an *existing* solution than to scour mailing
lists. sure, if your problem involves using software that is in
alpa,beta or high development, then a mailing list is perfect to deal
with new problems that may arise and haven't been dealt with before.

sorry, but i think this is such a non-debate ...

> OTOH, problems solved in a long thread can be condensed on a wiki page,
> in an optimal world by the one who got helped. This way the wiki grows
> pages with high quality content.

wikis are a good idea, but they hardly ever progress past a few brief,
initial offerings ... well, the linux audio ones, anyway.

shayne