Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Frustrated bigtime

From: Noah Roberts <roberts.noah@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 02:25:51 EEST

Here is my so far experince for those interested:

I could not find a realtime-preempt patch that will apply correctly to
a recent 2.6.12 kernel. It could be that some combination of 2.6.12
and realtime-preempt-2.6.12-final will work but I decided to give up.
All attempts resulted in rejected hunks, -R?, and/or missing files
(which file to patch:). No compilable kernel ever resulted. The two
patches I tried are realtime-preempt-2.6.12-final-V0.7.51-38 and
realtime-preempt-2.6.12-rc6-V0.7.48-37. Kernel was 2.6.12.5 (when did
they add the extra number btw??)....I haven't tried straight up 2.6.12
yet and that may be worth while.

2.6.13-rc6 has some of the realtime preempt patch in it already but it
is incomplete. Applying the patch results in a kernel that won't
compile for the amd64.

2.6.11.12 can be patched with realtime-preempt-2.6.11-rc4-V0.7.39-02
with success. It compiles on the amd64 and seems to work. I had to
use the realtime-lsm patch with it instead of RT-RLimits because the
later doesn't seem to exist as a seperate entity from the kernel
anymore...even for old versions...or at least I couldn't find it
anywhere. Using realtime-lsm was easy as I just did an "emerge
realtime-lsm" and set up the gid to audio when loading the
module...requires no PAM patch even though I already did one.

Right now, without some more serious testing, I am leaning toward the
older 2.6.11.12 as the more viable kernel for this computer. I have
it set up with complete preemption and it seems to respond quite well
to that setting. I still have yet to figure out which entry, if any,
in /proc/interrupts is my soundcard but I'll deal with that when I
can.