Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Resampling Audio Libraries & Sinc

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 12:13:52 EEST

On Thursday 25 August 2005 21:50, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 14:57 -0400, davidrclark@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> >Paul Davis,
> >
> >Before sounding off like you did, I suggest you *do your homework*.
>
> Negative. You have used an inappropriate public forum to cast serious
> doubts on the usefulness of someone's work. Based on communications here
> by the author of that work, it appears you have not raised these issues
> with the author prior to posting here. Your experimental procedure
> leaves much to be desired, because of the subtlety of the whole area.
> That said, what you've raised might indeed be correct, but there is
> hardly anyone who posts here regularly with the expertise to comment.
>
> If your comments are really about sinc-resampling, why on earth would
> you not take them to music-dsp or comp.dsp, which are true platform-
> neutral forums for such things? And if they are about possible
> implementation issues in SRC, why have you not discussed your tests with
> erik first?
>
> I am not trying to dismiss the point you are trying to make - I
> certainly do not know enough to even begin to comment. But I do think
> that the way you have made it is really, really poor.

David, I'd like to add something about emotion here. ;) I'm a user, this is a
users list. I spend all day using the software that Paul (and friends) wrote,
which uses Erik's code a lot AFAIU. I don't understand diddlysquat that
you're talking about and I need to get my album finished.

If the people you are talking to are asking you to take this off-list, please
do. :] I don't like to read too much of the kind of arguments that developers
have, I find it off-putting. It's also really handy to have people like Paul,
Erik and Lee around to answer some of our 'harder' questions. Please don't
make me take sides.

--
cheers,
tim hall