Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Frustrated bigtime

From: Noah Roberts <roberts.noah@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 23:28:36 EEST

On 8/26/05, Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 10:45 -0700, Noah Roberts wrote:
> > This is just getting stupid. I'm done. I never said anything about
> > 2.6.13-rc7. I did state that 2.6.13-rc6 will _not_ compile on amd64
> > if you attempt to add the RP patch.
>
> OK, lets try to actually figure out what the problem is so we can get it
> fixed.
>
> Try to compile the latest -rt patch for AMD64. Here's the exact kernel
> and patches to use:
>
> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.12.tar.bz2
> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/testing/patch-2.6.13-rc7.bz2
> http://redhat.com/~mingo/realtime-preempt/patch-2.6.13-rc7-rt3

So we are from "terrible idea...why would you..." to "do it like
this..." Well, it's an improvement.

rc7 seems to be viable on amd64. I did it like above and it worked so
I also tried it two different ways to make sure it wasn't something in
my procedure that broke it last time...not that it still couldn't be.
Downloading the kernel 2.6.13-rc7 and patching it works. Running an
emerge on the vanilla sources, which actually does the above, and
patching them works (though you have to add ~amd64 to the keywords).
I have only tested compilation, I have not booted one yet.

So, two days ago with rc6 it couldn't be done the second two ways
(didn't try the first). Now with rc7 all the sudden it can. That is
odd but not outside the realm of possibility with a "testing" kernel.
rc6 blew up in sched.c only a few seconds into a compile complaining
about various symbols being undefined and/or redefined, rc7 makes it
through with only some deprication warnings that seem to be in all
kernels these days. I fully expect it to work fine on bootup.

At any rate I now have a few working preemtable kernels. I don't
figure on needing another. I'm moving on to figuring other things
out. I almost didn't make this one but I figured having a compile
report destined for the developer was worth the effort even if it
wouldn't work for me...and it ended up working instead.