Re: [linux-audio-user] RE: I just want to EQ the quiet parts

From: Mike Jewell <mj405@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 27 2005 - 01:25:20 EEST

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 23:51 +0100, philicorda wrote:

> What I would do is...
> Render a couple of versions through Jamin. One with the severe 200hz cut
> for the quieter sections, and one with settings that work well on the
> louder bits.
> Then, line them up in Ardour so they start at exactly the same time and
> cut/crossfade between them so the bass cut version is only used where
> it's needed.
> Longish crossfades should make the changeovers inaudible.

That's a good idea but only practical for a really important piece. For
my project it would need to be fast and automatic.

> > Is there something like a noise gate that, instead of silencing
> > everything below a certain threshold, would apply a given EQ to it
> > instead? With all the cool Linux Audio tools out there, it seems like
> > there must be some way to do this. (Maybe Jamin can and I just don't
> > see it.)
>
> I guess you could use the spectral gate in freqtweak to do this. It does
> tend to change the sound a little (It's not really meant for this kind
> of thing) though considering the quality of the source it could well be
> acceptable.

Sounds interesting. I'll take a look in my spare time... 8^)

> Just stay away from the delay, feedback and warp settings or you'll be
> playing with it all night... :)
>
> If Jamin had inverse ratios for the compressor sections then you could
> do some expansion. Perhaps if you ask the authors they will look into
> it?

Now, that sounds very interesting. Are there any expander plugins? If
one existed with the right thresholds, etc, I can imagine it could work
like a proportional noise gate where it just starts attenuating
gradually below a certain dB level. Could be a handy tool.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike Jewell
One-Up Audio