[linux-audio-user] Choice of Resamplers

From: <davidrclark@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 27 2005 - 01:35:28 EEST

Greetings all,

I was just contacted by Erik de Castro Lopo who requested that I go edit
a bunch of my files. It appears that Erik is planning to do some sort of
comparison between what I've done and what he has done. This would be an
inappropriate response to my claim regarding the misuse of Smith's method
for bulk conversions at constant rates, so I'll take care of it right away:

1) If you INSIST on using something in Linux audio for resampling and you
don't really understand the issues involved, then you should definitely use
Erik's program(s) rather than anything I wrote because you're a lot less
likely to have very serious errors; however,

2) You really shouldn't use EITHER of these for anything as valuable as,
for example, an audio library. Once again, you'd probably be better off
acquiring a new library or re-recording the sources. If you cannot do
that, then you should probably get with a professional engineer who does
this all the time, then *thoroughly* test the results. Anything wrong
may suddenly pop up later on, and you may not consider that it could be
the resampling step that caused it.

You probably won't see anything more from me on resampling, because I'm
not really interested in it. My recent posts were merely a very belated reply
to abusive demands made long ago on this forum, and *only* because I started
feeling sorry for those who may be misled into damaging their audio files,
not because I felt obligated to the jackasses who heaped abuse on me.

Regards to all,
Dave.

P.S. LAU is on my spam list, so I haven't seen anything posted recently.
I will post announcements once in a while, but I'm really tired (just like
Noah) of abuse, personal attacks, and misrepresentation by the Illuminati
(not limited to Lee R) of what I regard as very much like a cult. Think
about the many parallels to one of those "spaceship" cults, and you'll see
why I say that. Certainly not all who read/post here buy into this cult
mentality, but a significant percentage have.