[linux-audio-user] Hydrogen advice needed: how to achieve this sound?

From: Hans <hansfong@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 27 2005 - 15:11:10 EEST

Hello everyone,

I'm new to drums and drum machines, trying to work with Hydrogen. Want
to do some home recording with bass and guitar. Need a cool drum groove
to play with and try to make that from scratch (love to learn :-). Take
a listen to this and you will know what I am talking about:
http://hit.tweakdsl.nl/hh-beat.mp3. It's a little less than 500kb in size.

It's the hi hat that I want. The rhythm isn't so complicated, just a
beat on every count. What I can't get is the same sound as the
recording. It's lush (not quite a closed hi hat, I presume) and has a
long decay. So far I've only achieved a mechanical sound. So the
questions....

Q1: is what I want at all possible with Hydrogen?
Q2: can this be done with the standard GM drum sounds?
Q3: if not, what kind of samples/drumkits should I be looking at?
Q4: apart from delay, are there any other effects I should use?
Q5: or is my approach to simplistic and should I try more complicated
patterns with more sounds at the same time (e.g. open and closed hi hats)?

Hope you guys can give some advice or insight. BTW, the clip is from the
song Amerimacka (feat Notch) by Thievery Corporation.

Cheerio,

Hans

Debian GNU/Linux testing, Athlon 2500+, SB Audigy 1