Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux-Music and making a living...

From: Jon Stutters <jonathan.stutters@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 07 2005 - 16:52:09 EEST

Hector Centeno wrote:
> Yesterday I was having a little of a debate with a good friend about the
> possibilities of Linux/open-source audio and music software in the music
> market. What are your opinions about this? Is someone there actually
> making money using Linux and/or open-source software? Is it possible to
> be competitive in a market full of musicians/composers using
> Win/Mac+proprietary software (Cubase, Reason, ProTools and friends)?
> Probably this has been addressed more than once previously, so sorry for
> insisting... I think I need some encouragement!

Why would it not be possible? The medium you're working in is sound and
the sounds that come out of Free software are equal to those coming out
of non-Free software. There's already more than enough software on
Linux to ensure that you're only ever going to be limited by your
imagination and other intangible skills.

The only difficulty I could see is if you were attempting to work with
clients using proprietary formats but that's a different question really.

Jonny
www.jeremah.co.uk