Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux-Music and making a living...

From: Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 07 2005 - 16:27:28 EEST

Hector Centeno wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yesterday I was having a little of a debate with a good friend about
> the possibilities of Linux/open-source audio and music software in the
> music market. What are your opinions about this? Is someone there
> actually making money using Linux and/or open-source software? Is it
> possible to be competitive in a market full of musicians/composers
> using Win/Mac+proprietary software (Cubase, Reason, ProTools and
> friends)? Probably this has been addressed more than once previously,
> so sorry for insisting... I think I need some encouragement!
>
> Thank you!
>

> Hector.

Making money out of anything can be more a product of skill sets and
personal drive than being directly associated to, in this case, specific
applications. Clients do and will have their "favorites" and that can
sway their decision as to what studio they spend their money in...If you
have the skills and offer competitive pricing, even "discount"
introductory pricing and some kind of "money back" guarantee if your
confident with the open source software and your abilities to use it,
you can convert them one by one! :)

I think it is possible...anything is! But challenging.

Good luck!
R~