Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux-Music and making a living...

From: R Parker <rtp405@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 08 2005 - 09:08:00 EEST

--- Brad Fuller <brad@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 07:40 PM Dave Robillard wrote:
> > I have yet to meet a musician worth listening to
> who's in it for the
> > money. Ask if you can create whatever sort of
> music you want with the
> > available tools maybe, but not if you can make
> money using open source
> > software - that's silly.
>
> I don't understand why his question is silly. I
> thought it was rather
> sane and straightforward.

Ditto.

> AFA a musician who's in it for the money or the art:
> well.. that's
> rather hard to pin down. Who knows which artist is
> "in it for the
> money"? You certainly can't tell from their music.

Agreed.

> Furthermore, artists must eat,

Nonesense, our musts only include sex and drugs.

 and they always find
> a way to. There are
> the very few that lock themselves away in a run down
> shack to create
> their art. That's OK with me, but that ain't the
> norm today. On the flip
> side, there are plenty of musicians who are in it
> for the art, but their
> art is not particularly good. And there are
> musicians that are rich and
> their art is wonderful. Art and money are mutually
> independent.

I can't recall the article but an interviewer asked
Jon Lennon to describe how becoming rich had effected
him as a musician and an artist. He replied by stating
that he writes his songs while sitting in a much
softer chair.