Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Linux-Music and making a living...

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 08 2005 - 14:30:10 EEST

PMG wrote:

>I do not encourage the making of empty (exempt of
>personal expression), commercial music, but your
>better chance would be making music for porn movies.

Lots of opportunity for personal expression in porn. (Sorry, I couldn't
resist it).

Okay, seriously though, PMG has a good point & suggestion. I also
suggest looking into B-movie sci-fi and independent studio productions.
Budgets are typically small, they can't afford the Big Fellows, and at
least in SF movies you'll likely have an opportunity to actually make
some cool sounds.

And if you haven't composed music for films, be sure to read Aaron
Copland's remarks on the topic.

Tangents: The other week I watched The Day The Earth Stood Still, a
remarkable film from 1951, and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that
the music was by Bernard Herrmann, Hitchcock's favorite composer. A few
days before watching that flick I watched Forbidden Planet, with its
famous score from the Barron's studio. Of course the sounds themselves
were dated, but the scoring itself was still amazing, especially for a
movie made in 1956.

Best,

dp