Re: [linux-audio-user] 2.6.13 kernel: which patches for better latency

From: Reuben Martin <reuben.m@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 04:38:02 EEST

On 9/7/05, guy <sayhi2guy@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm just about to compile a 2.6.13 kernel for low latency audio work.
> The docs I have accessed are either confusing (sorry if its just me ;0)
> ) or rendered out of date by kernel developments.
>
> I know that some features such as pre-empt are now in the kernel. Which
> patches (if any) would you folks advise that I should apply. I am also
> unsure if should enable the 'big kernel lock' feature.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help
>
> Guy

realtime-preempt patches are the latest and greatest for latency
improvements. They are very actively maintained by Ingo Molnar, same
guy who created the preempt patches for the 2.4 kernel series.

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/

This patch removes "big kernel lock" option. (You don't want it and
the patch at the same time)

The patch is updated every couple of days.

Good luck.
-Reuben