Re: [linux-audio-user] JACK and memory

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 11 2005 - 14:53:09 EEST

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 11:13:45AM +0200, Peter Mogensen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm desperately trying to get my 1400MHz Pentium M with Debian Sarge to
> behave just a little like my old 66MHz BeOS system in terms of audio.
>
> But I keep running into troubles. I think I have the latency under
> control with kernel 2.6.13 and realtime-preempt, but I've got some
> stability problems (probably network related), so I'm working with
> kernel 2.6.12.5 unpatched.
>
> Right now my problem is that as JACK seems to work for test cases, but
> as soon as I want to do real work all JACK related programs starts to
> consume huge amounts of memory, which prevents me from doing any real work.

Are you looking at the memory reported by top or so on and using that to
conclude jack is taking a lot of ram?

Jack uses (lots of) shared ram to communicate, so the consumption looks
really scary, whereas infact most of the memory is only allocated once.

As long as you have 256MB physical ram or more you will be fine.

- Steve