Re: [linux-audio-user] JACK configuration: Preventing system lockups

From: Wolfgang Woehl <tito@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 12 2005 - 13:04:52 EEST

Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>:
> Btw, additions and corrections are welcome.

Hi Dave, maybe add the -I and -O options. They let you specify "systemic
latency". When you route audio out of JACK's realm to process somewhere
out there (physical signal processors or "the net" even) and then route
back into JACK you get latency to deal with. An example for where that
matters is Ardour which has to align outgoing and incoming audio.

Real-world example is my ad/da that is connected via adat (in/out
latency of 34 frames) and is used to bus audio through a hardware
dynamics processor (in/out latency of 36 frames and then take it back
into an Ardour signal path. With "-I 70" and "-O 70" Ardour's alignment
is sample-perfect.

The net can be audio source (collaborators on the other side of the
world) or insert (networked ladspa box) in an Ardour signal route.
Never tried it but -I and -O should give you perfect alignment just as
well.

Wolfgang