[linux-audio-user] JACK error 4294967295

From: Hans Fugal <hans@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 08:45:18 EEST

2.6.13.1-rt6, rlimits-patched pam and configured thus:

# in /etc/security/limits.conf
* - rt_priority 0
* - nice 0
@audio - rt_priority 50
@audio - nice -10

jack starts happily with realtime enabled, and the xruns are very few.
But no jack application will start, they all give this error:

jack_create_thread: error -1 switching current thread to rt for
inheritance: Unknown error 4294967295

It's like the ol' jack is root apps can't connect days, but I thought
rtlimits was supposed to make it possible for a user to get rt_priority.
Am I missing something?

Ah! It came to me just now - I set the priority field in qjackctl to 0
instead of 1 (where it was) and now jack apps can start. Heads up there.
Maybe applications need a way to recognize what rt_priority level to ask
for based on what jack is running at? On a tangent, how exactly does
that work? Is rt_priority=0 sufficiently prioritized? (because it is the
only thing running realtime)

--
 Hans Fugal                 | If more of us valued food and cheer and
 http://hans.fugal.net/     | song above hoarded gold, it would be a