Re: [linux-audio-user] alsa soundcard numbering

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 15:52:28 EEST

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 10:32 +0200, Orm Finnendahl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> having my RME hdsp pcmcia card inserted in my laptop on startup
> results in assigning it card number 0 and assigning the built-in
> soundcard card number 1. I'd prefer it the other way round, so that
> the internal card *always* gets number 0, no matter whether the pcmcia
> card is present or not. It used to work that way with a 2.4 setup and
> alsa 1.0.4.
>
> My current setup uses debian sarge and a custom 2.6.13.1 kernel.
>
> This is in my modules.conf:
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> alias snd-card-1 snd-virmidi
> alias snd-card-2 snd-hdsp

add:

options snd-intel8x0 index=0
options snd-hdsp index=1

and you should be good to go. i believe the default order these days is
based on PCI bus device numbering. it could be something even more
random.

> I also cannot rmmod the snd-intel8x0 once the computer has booted
> despite the fact, that no program is claiming it. With the old setup I
> remember that stopping alsa (in /etc/init.d) resulted in a removal of
> all snd_* modules.

not sure about that. does rmmod claim that its in use? does lsmod show
which other modules are using it?

--p