[linux-audio-user] IP audio transport

From: Matt Rockwell <mcrockwell@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 16 2005 - 17:32:23 EEST

Greetings,
I am new to the list and linux audio as I have taken over engineering a
radio station. We will be building a brand new studio on campus in
2008, and I have already started to meet with the architectural
committee. The more I consider our mission and where broadcast audio
has the potential to go in the future, the more I find I would like to
implement an open architecture infrastructure for the facility.
At this point, one of the largest questions I am facing is the transport
of the audio around the plant, and potentially around campus. The UW
has invested a tremendous amount of effort in building a multicast
capable infrastructure to handle communications needs of the campus into
the future, so we will certainly have pipeline available if we wanted to
get data from point a to b. The question is what type of transport
would be capable of interfacing with what type of in-house switching and
routing?
The in-house needs would be a system capable of replicating something
along the lines of what Z-sys:http://www.z-sys.com/pp_routing.html
equipment is capable of providing. My first choice would be to
replicate this type of routing in software as well [JACK on a large
scale]. The question then leads into what will be the transport
method? Cobranet http://www.peakaudio.com/CobraNet/Background.html is
certainly promising with actual market availability, but it is still
proprietary.
I ultimately envision a system where an artist (DJ) sits at a terminal
and has the capability to patch their own inputs with ALSA and JACK,
bring everything up on a control surface for tactile use, and route to
air, stream, or file.

I welcome any comments in any form which anybody wishes to contribute.
I will also continue to form my train of thought here:
http://mattrock.net/WSUM/. Thanks to you all for providing an
environment which has been long overdue to the audio world.

Matt

--
Matt Rockwell- Technical Director
University of Wisconsin- WSUM Student Radio