[linux-audio-user] Re: Linux-Music and making a living...

From: Carlo Capocasa <capocasa@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 21 2005 - 16:29:12 EEST

YET another raply, lol...

My two cents here, in case you got through to reading it.

My opinion is that linux music does not need to compete with windows
produced music, as little as a guitar has to compete with a dulcimer. It
can be used for similar things and can be to get a similar effect with
the listener, but still it is played in a completely different way.
Certain tunes are easier to produce than others with both frameworks.

For the kind of music I will be making the Linux philosophy is far
superior to any non-open-source solution I am aware of. Personally I
will be making simple, open, healing music, that appeals to the core but
not the the frivolous side.

Given that most marketing campaigns by proprietary software companies
appeal MAINLY to the frivolous side, this leaves a certain unenjoyable
aftertouch with any music I produce on these systems.

For example, no matter which tool you use to make music, there will
always be limitations. On linux, these limitations are due to hardware
limitations and design decisions and so forth. On proprietary systems,
market-calculus and customer lock-in factors bring in additional
limitations. In other words, if I only pay a certain amount I get
limitations introduced into my music tools that don't represent the
natural order of things in terms of technology development, etc., but
reflects a 'moneysucking' tactic.

Commercially available music is full of this. It's why it sucks.

Commerically made music has been around for 100+ years. Open Source made
music for little more than twenty (if you include the time it took to
create the GNU/linux system).

So it's pretty darn clear. We people love making music and love being
independant. So a way will be found to either make money with music or
find a way to do without a lot of it or a combination of both.

(I realize many things that money can buy aren't really necessary by the
core... And still, often enough, it appears as though certain money
transactions are a very good idea and the results beneficial to all)

An excellent place to start for finding ways to make money with Open
Source produced things is this:

http://www.selfpromotion.com

The solution's called 'tipping'

In fact, for Open Source software, the best way I can see to honor the
developers is to create a 'tipping contribution framework', where $1000
I tip to debian get distributed evenly to them and all contributors,
packagers, programmers, etc, according to a certain key that would have
to be found and reflect the value each and every one is bringing to the
community.

Great topic to rise, thanks... Any opinions and comments on my rave very
welcome.

Carlo