Re: [linux-audio-user] distro suggestions..

From: Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 18:18:59 EEST

> Hi everybody, this is the first time I post here.
>
> I've been using Gentoo Linux (http://www.gentoo.org/) for about four
> years on my desktop machine, and looks like it would be very good as a
> "music station" too. I've just begun experimenting with it...
> Anybody has ever tried Gentoo for multitrack recording and editing? Bye,

Yep, things mostly "just work".
The default gentoo-sources kernel has given me pretty good performance
but I haven't pushed it for extreme low latency yet.
(I was using ck-sources for a while and it was good too... i switched
only because there was some kernel version i wanted that wasn't
available in ck-sources at one point.)

So far my gentoo box has given me the least maintenance headaches of
any linux distro I've used, but YMMV.

Most of the audio apps i want are available in fairly recent versions
from the main gentoo portage tree. Occasionally i want more bleeding-
edge versions, which gentoo makes VERY easy to do... either i use an
"unstable" ebuild by adding a line to
/etc/portage/package.keywords as described at
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=3#doc_chap2
or I install by hand and tell portage about it, see
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=5#doc_chap3
for how to do that.
(Features that all the other package management systems really should
adopt if they have not yet!)

-PW