Re: [linux-audio-user] Realtime-lsm for SuSE 9.3 x86_64 - Attn: Rui Nuno Capela

From: Martin Wohlleben <Martin.Wohlleben@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 24 2005 - 17:50:38 EEST

Am Samstag, 24. September 2005 13:14 schrieb David Haggett:
> Hi, list
>
> Sometime ago (May) I asked about realtime under SUSE 9.3, and received the
> following advice from Rui (for which I am grateful). When it actually came
> down to it, I bottled out so never followed this through, opting to run all
> the applications I needed as root.
>
> "The way to go is installing kernel-source package and apply the
> realtime-lsm patch to the kernel source tree.
>
> "Just (re)build and install the patched kernel, but take special care to
> set the following, while on kernel configuration:
>
> CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=N
> CONFIG_SECURITY_REALTIME=M "
>
> I'm a bit worried about mucking up my system (also used for general purpose
> computing), and I was hoping someone could give me some further advice:
>
> If I patch and reconfigure the kernel source, is that likely to break
> future compilation using the default kernel?

No, just rename the folder /usr/src/kernel... to avoid that your patched
sources will be removed by a new SuSE Kernel (if you use Yast Online Update)

> Is it possible to copy the contents of /usr/src/linux-2.6.11.4-21.9/
> to another location (something like /usr/src/linux-2.6.11.4-21.9-rt)

Yeah, that's what I mean

> and apply the patch and compile there, or is it better just to patch
> the suse source directly, accessing it via the /usr/src/linux symlink?

> Also I noticed there's a directory called
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.11.4-21.9-obj
>
> Do patches automatically change the kernel identifier so that when I do
> a make modules_install it will create a new directory instead of copying
> them over the modules from the running kernel? Is there a way to make
> sure it does?

If you use the SuSE sources there is an option called "configuration name" at
build options. Just change the name from default to "rt" or something else.

Or set it by Hand in the Makefile of the kernel source.
There is an option called EXTRAVERSION = ...
There you can set the additional suffix, even if it is not the SuSE source.

In my opinion it is better to use other souces than the SuSE sources to be
able to apply the preemption patches.

I used
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.11.7.tar.bz2
applied the realtime preemption patch
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/older/realtime-preempt-2.6.11-final-V0.7.40-04
the realtime_lsm patch
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.11/2.6.11-mm4/broken-out/rt-lsm.patch
and maybe the bootsplash
http://www.bootsplash.de/files/bootsplash-3.1.4-2.6.11.diff
You can find the How To at
http://gimpel.gi.funpic.de/Howtos/RTP_kernel/index.html

> Is it OK to manually copy the vmlinuz and system.map file into /boot
> with a name appropriate to the kernel version?

Yes, just use the name according to your /lib/modules/... folder
If you are unsure, you can see the name at the "make modules_install" step

> Is it good practice to reference kernels directly in the GRUB menu.lst
> by their real names rather than the symlink (when presenting the option
> to boot more then one)?

Yes, I think you should use the new Kernel additionally to you SuSE Kernel and
add a new entry to you menu.lst (or just just Yast's Bootloader module to
create the entry)
And don't forget "mkinitrd" and create an initrd according to your new
Kernel's name.
SuSE usually uses reiserfs and without using the initrd your new Kernel won't
be able to boot form this file system.

> I'm really sorry for the basic questions - I'm still a relative newbie to
> Linux. I've thought about trying out a dedicated multimedia distro, but
> really comfortable with SuSE now.
>
> Thanks in advance

some additional hint's

there is a project for professional audio work with SuSE:
http://www.jacklab.net/
They provide a lot of rpm's of current development snapshots and interesting
audio tools.
You can also find a Kernel rpm there (at least for SuSE 9.2) and a how to for
building your own kernel based on 2.6.11.7
I tried this one (compiled according the how to) and I'm very lucky with it.
Unfortunately english and french language is still not fully supported but
maybe you find there what you are looking for.