Re: [linux-audio-user] can't start jackd from normal user

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 21:06:54 EEST

On 9/28/05, Antonio <debian@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> cannot create /dev/shm/jack-1000 directory (Permission denied)

Hi,
It seems pretty clear to me that this is a permissions problem, not a
kernel issue. I would suggest looking at how shm is mounted in your
distro and whether users are given access. On my Gentoo machine I have
this in fstab:

shm /dev/shm tmpfs
nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0

For me, using udev, it gets the job done.

NOTE: This also might be a groups issue. If your distro has an 'audio'
group, for instance, and if your securities setup enforces a user
being part of that group to use /dev/shm then this might stop you from
being able to creat /dev/shm/jack-1000 when you try to run Jack as a
normal user.

HTH,
Mark