Re: [linux-audio-user] External audio interface (edirol FA/UA-101)

From: Martin Wohlleben <Martin.Wohlleben@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 21:43:06 EEST

Am Mittwoch, 28. September 2005 15:46 schrieb Dmitry Baikov:
> On 9/28/05, *Paul Davis* <paul@email-addr-hidden
>
> <mailto:paul@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:
> > Is it possible in practice? And for what number of channels? Also,
>
> is FW
>
> > much better than USB2 and why?
>
> yes, its much better: vastly higher bandwidth, much faster bus clock.
>

> Theoretical(!) numbers are: FW-400 = 400MBits/s, USB2.0 = 480 MBits/s
>
> > As for RME Multiface
>
> i'm not sure that its that hard anymore. kernel 2.6 seemed to have
> fixes ...
> --p
>

> As I see, you insist on RME :) Reasonable choice. More expensive, but
> bullet-proof.
> From reading RME mailing lists, I know there were many problems with
> Ricoh controllers (on PCI bursts). And everybody recommends TI. But most
> notebooks to choose from have Ricoh controllers. Do you know if these
> problems were solved? According to the list everybody went for Fireface
> now, so there's no feedback on modern cardbus setups.
> And even less on linux setups.
>
> Questions about FA-101 still remain :)
>
> More opinions / experiences are welcome :)
>
> Thank you.
> Dmitry.

Hi,

I'm using the cardbus interface with a RME Multiface on following CardBus
bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev ac) controller.
It's working fine, even with low latencies.
My former notebook had an ENE controller that didn't work but with the Ricoh
controller it worked out of the box and I'm still very happy having this
soundcard. The sound is great, the driver is rock solid and can reach lowest
latencies with jack. There is also a very nice mixer and control software in
the alsa package and the developer really care about it.

regards,
Martin