Re: [linux-audio-user] can't start jackd from normal user

From: Peder Hedlund <peder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 15:01:08 EEST

> I had no fstab entry for shm in my debian etch (testing) system.
> So /dev/shm had wrong permission. I don't now if this is a bug in the
> jackd pachage. However, if I do one of these three things I get the
> right permission so jack can start from normal user:
>
> 1) Add to fstab:
> shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0

> So use 1) for now (as suggested by Mark previously). Is this the best
> solution on debian? (Not that I don't trust Mark, but only to ask if
> debian has a specific behaviour here).

 That explains the faulty permissions; since no filesystem was mounted
 on the (empty) directory /dev/shm it had the default 755 root.root.

 The fstab entry is perfectly fine.

> [OT]
> I don't have a devpts entry in fstab, should debian must have one?
> (infact I currently have to manually mount devpts to open a subshell,
> for example CRTL+O in mc).
> [/OT]

 You (or the debian testing release) seem to have screwed up some
 /etc files somewhat. As said, Mandrake has the mounting of devpts
 in rc.sysinit, but I guess you could add that to fstab as well.

 - Peder