Re: [linux-audio-user] first remix on remix.linux

From: Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 01:28:27 EEST

tim hall wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 September 2005 13:34, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
>
>>i've just killed lotsa brain cells by cutting and dividing two great
>>submissions to remix.linux (Turn Back the Tide by Blues LSD and ATT by
>>James Shuttleworth) into some sort of remix/mashup ... thought i'd get
>>the ball rolling - not sure what this is like as i've since lost all
>>critical faculties - let me know what you think.
>

> Oh you really have haven't you? Fantastic.
>
> No remix has cracked me up quite so much since 'Der Osten ist Rot' by Holger
> Czukay. No, but seriously, wait, I'll play it again and try to make some
> sensible comments.

was hoping someone may have noticed the way-too-loud bass ... stupidly,
i did the final mix late at night on my headphones ... sounded fine, but
then i listened to it today on my stereo ... *way* too loud. i'm gonna
have to attenuate it.

"cracked me up" ... what in dog's name do you mean? did you think it was
*funny*?! i have no idea why - it's not supposed to be ...

> I've had both the tracks on my playlist at home for a while, it's the
> devil-may-care edits that do my head in most. The high pitched synth
> percussion from ATT sounds slightly like digital clipping.

the editing was the mind-fuck ... getting the ATT sounds in there and
doing what i wanted was pretty easy, cos i had the seperate tracks to
work with. but for "turn back the tide", i had to cut up and mess around
with the fully mixed track. the only guitar part i could really use was
the intro, which i had to cut and paste and rearrange to get rid of the
initial vocal which overlaps it. for the, erm, "chorus" bit ... well, i
had a definite sound in my head, but it proved near impossible to get :(
     i didn't want to add too many sounds either.

i didn't use any of the percussion from ATT, though. couldn't get any of
james' beats to fit. the "digital clipping" is either FX1 or FX2 from
Hydrogen's Techno drumkit (ha ha ha).

I also find the
> slight timing discrepancies between the two tracks somewhat disturbing.

that pleases me :)

> Well done. Please don't 'fix' anything. ;) More ...

nothing is broken ... feel free to share your own stuff :)

shayne