Re: [linux-audio-user] can't start jackd from normal user

From: Antonio <debian@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 18:17:59 EEST

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 15:28 +0200, Antonio wrote:
[cut]
Now I have
> understanded that my problem is related to the fact that mountvirtfs
> doesn't mount shm and devpts when it is called on boot. I don't know
> why, I'm investigating this. However if I manually stop the service
> mountvirtfs and start it again shm and devpts are mounted and with the
> right permissions.
>
> I'll report any news on this.

Well, I've solved the problem!

I've learn a lot of new thinks too! The dir /dev/shm is one of the few
in /dev non managed by udev. The mountvirtfs init script have to be
called before udev because udev needs procfs, that is mounted by
mountvirtfs. I've noted that disabling udev at boot the /dev/shm
permissions were right, so mountvirtfs was doing his job. It was udev
called after that broke the things. Reinstalling udev (and to be sure
sys-rc and initscript) solved the problem.

A sincere thanks to all the guys have helped me :-).

Best Regards,

  ~ Antonio